SouthEast PortlandTool Library
Like the public library... but for tools

Board Meeting January 9, 2014

A regular meeting of the Southeast Portland Tool Library (SEPTL) was held 1/09/2014 at the Barley Mill Pub 14th and Hawthorne, Portland, Oregon.

The meeting convened at 7:10 PM, Chairman Sean Barnett presiding.

Members  in attendance: * is Board member

Sean Barnett* – Chair
Robert Weber* – Secretary
Steve Couche* – At large
Kelly Faddis – Asst Treasurer
E Michael Brandt – IT guru
Barbara McLean (Newsletter)

Members not in attendance * is Board member

Blaine Delancey* – Volunteer Coordinator
Aaron Andrade* – At Large
Casey Cotton* – Treasurer
Jeff Horne* – At large

TREASURER REPORT:

SEPTL Bank Balances 12/31/13

Rivermark Credit Union  $8853
SE Uplift                              $1168
Paypal                                  $ 282
TOTAL                            $10302   will be  approx. $13,000 by Jan 31, 2014

Historical Bank Balances
12/31/1010                        $ 600
12/31/2011                     $1300
12/31/2012                      $5000
12/31/2013                     $10302

Income & Expenses 1/1 – 12/31/13

Income (late fees & donations) $5,603
Income (tool sales)                          $190
Income (tool sharpening event)    $721
TOTAL INCOME                          $6515
2013 income averages  $550/MONTH

Expenses
Rent     $720
Tools    $756
Other    $838
TOTAL EXPENSES                       $2314
2013 expenses average $200/month

INCOME LESS EXPENSES           $4201

NEWSLETTER
Sean talked with Barbara McLean about ideas for articles – Every other month Newsletter should have short blurb summaries with links to full articles on web site.  Barbara will write or edit articles from others and send them to Michael to post. She’ll begin with March issue  Volunteer Newsletter will be coordinated with Blaine in March.

Valerie had some ideas for articles: t-shirts for 20 hour volunteers; carpenter pencils for members; seed library; seismic workshop report; cool new tools. Steve mentioned NEPTL does a seed swap in February – we should do one and publicize

TOOL INVENTORY:
Michael said it was quick and painless — 170 lost tools out of 2500 (5%) in 2013.  Pairing volunteers with multiple laptops online worked well compared to hand written check boxes.  The TL was very cold during inventory.  We should do it agin when most tools are out and it is warmer in Spring or Fall.  Michael will set up an email group of  inventory helpers and add Steve.

BLOCKING MEMBER BORROWING AFTER LATE FINES REACH $15
After discussion of blocking borrowing at various levels of fine – Board agreed to defer decision to February meeting with a quorum.

Michael said that every returned tool needs to be visually inspected before checking them in for parts, clean condition and damage.  If a tool is returned unusable then NO MORE BORROWING for responsible member unless they pay for replacement or repairs.  We need weekly Volunteer TIPs to be sent out by Blaine with login code. Our rules are not being followed.

Sean said the Board sets policy and figures out how to implement.

Due to difficulty of getting a Board Quorum we should allow voting by email – maybe via Google Hangouts.

IT REPORT – Michael said we have had few sales of our TL software @ $250 for beginning tool libraries and $500 for existing libraries.  LocalTools is a snazzy competitive product used by some tool libraries.  Adding pictures of tools and integrating into our software would be difficult, Ubuntu ( our operating system) has difficult interfaces and drivers for pictures – this might be a long term goal for us.

Our internet connection has been down a few days recently — TL Volunteers handled tool transactions by writing lists of tools checked out and returned, then entering transactions from home later.

TOOL LIBRARY IMPROVEMENTS

February 1 2:30 to 4:30 volunteers will put up drywall in front entry area.

Valerie Garrett and Aaron Andrade are making new signs

WORKSHOPS and EVENTS

Seismic Workshop January 11  — set up at 2 pm Friday, Jan 10 in St Davids Basement preschool room  to darken windows, set up screen and arrange chairs – 63 people are signed up — the Outdoor demo was rescheduled to Saturday Jan 18 ,9 am at St Davids due to high wind forecast on 1/11.  We should schedule another Seismic workshop and coordinate with City of Portland to publicize.

Tool Sharpening Event — we should hold another in May — Sean will email Casey to coordinate.

Social Hours for Board and Members — we should have them twice a year open to all – replace Volunteer Appreciation Event.  Steve said NEPL and NPLT have get together socials a pubs – we could do at Lucky Lab maybe we buy a drink for everyone and have raffle prizes – perhaps donated by merchants in SE or coupons from Harbor  Freight.

DOTMOCRACY discussion — Michael said it doesn’t work in practice.  Dots play follow the leader and cluster too much.

Meeting adjourned at 8:35 PM.