A regular meeting of the SEPTL Board was held Thursday March 14, 2013 in St. Davids Church Grace Room, Portland, Oregon. The meeting convened at 7:12 PM, President Steve Couche presiding, and Robert Weber, Secretary.
Members in attendance: (* is Board Member)
Steve Couche (Board President) *
Sean Barnett (Board Treasurer) *
Robert Weber (Board Secretary) *
Pete Stuchlik (At Large Board member, collections) *
Casey Cotton (At Large Board member) *
Aaron Andrade (At Large Board Member) *
E Michael Brandt (IT guru)
Members not in attendance:
Jeff Horne (At Large Board member) *
Hindi Iserhott (Board Volunteer Coordinator) *
Barbara McLean (Newsletter editor)
Minutes of previous meeting: No meeting in February!!
Rivermark Credit Union account $5990.66
Southeast Uplift account $1097.33
Paypal account $200.00
Cash to be deposited none
Less 1/2 2013 rent & $100 to
Michael for IT svcs ($418.00)
Balance in Mid-March $6869.99
A) The St Davids Raingarden Group took some garden tools without checking them out or getting permission — they broke and discarded 2 tools – Steve is talking with St Davids about paying to replace them and clarifying that church members cannot just take our tools.
To fill vacant slots ask frequent borrowers from list to volunteer at least once
COORDINATOR Position vacancy soon : Hindi is leaving in June for a new job in Bali, so the Board needs to start looking for a replacement(s)
ACTION ITEMS –
- Put article in next newsletter and website listing skills needed and coordinator responsibilities – person could shadow Hindi
- Steve will mention this when speaking to PDX Youth Builders – a non profit
- Somebody mentioned a non-profit web site that lists non-profit jobs – office near Hawthorne and 50th.
- Bob will talk to Anthony Leong during next shift together about being Volunteer Coordinator.
- Ask our regular shift volunteers to assume parts of Hindi’s tasks
- If no Volunteer Coordinator – we need to get regular Volunteers to sign up for 16 Saturday shifts.
- Pete will work with Barb to put short volunteer survey in newsletter
C) VICE CHAIR Position needed to help Steve with some tasks including speaking for SEPTL – and eventually to take over as SEPTL Chair.
D) TOOL SHARPENING EVENT IN APRIL
Brian Beeson of 1sharptool (name corrected 6/10/13) wants to do another day-long Saturday 9am-4pm event on either April 13 or 20
ACTION ITEMS –
- Place ads in SE Examiner, Sellwood Bee, Oregonian Garden Section, etc
- Make flyers & posters — Send email to members
- Put notice in next Newsletter and Web Site.
- Brian doen’t sharpen reel mowers – so Bob and Michael could sharpen our push mowers again – we still have valve grinding paste and instructions – we would need a few volunteers to help disassemble and push and rebuild mowers some evening during daylight.
- Bob or Casey will buy some hammer tackers to post flyers.
E) GROUP TOOL LENDING POLICY –
- Volunteers should always have group form in cabinet signed before lending tools
- NO power tools loaned to groups and only for a single event.
- Clues to identify group loans are more than one of the same tool.
- NE Tool Library is set up for Group loans so refer people to them
Aaron will write group lending instructions
F) UPDATE VOLUNTEER HANDBOOK with Broken & Dirty tool and Group Loan Policies — There is a form in the drawer to fill out and sign if member returns broken tool
DONATIONS AND OUT OF SERVICE TOOL RECYCLING
Casey found a donor with free high end tile saw. It needs a 3′ X 4′ space which we don’t have until existing out of service tool clutter and/or organ stairway is removed. Board will discuss temporary storage at next meeting. Casey will take box of metal scrap to recycling center.
LATE TOOL POLICY ENFORCEMENT:
We won’t call unless tool is overdue 2 weeks or more – don’t call bottom part of list – only call for valuable & heavy demand tools
Collection steps 1) Get replacement value of tool 2) friendly information letter 3) dunning refer to collection agency letter sent certified mail 4) signed member agreements say member is liable for cost of tool and collection fee
Michael sent 26 letters for tools over 1 month overdue — 4 members returned tools and 4 were undeliverable
What are enforced collection agencies we might use?
NEW SPACE AND IMPROVING PRESENT SPACE —
Sean emailed Central Eastside PDC to find available cheap spaces and will talk to Eastside Business Association requesting free space
Discussion of getting more light – install solatubes or a window in the brick wall — add more cfl lights
Discussion of removing organ loft ladder and what is size and cost or folding ladder replacement.
Steve will talk with St Davids about SEPTL using space in the Robing Room door #8 and behind TL desk for maintaining donated/out of service tools
Aaron asked that meeting notes include action plan to ensure follow up on things we agree to do
ACTION ITEMS – Bob will add this to meeting minutes
Recorded by Robert Weber, secretary
Meeting adjourned 8:50 PM