SouthEast PortlandTool Library
Like the public library... but for tools

Board Meeting Sept 13, 2012

Meeting date: Thursday September 13, 2012

A regular meeting of the SEPTL was held in St. Davids Church Grace Room, Portland, Oregon. The meeting convened at 7:10 PM, President Steve

Couche presiding, and Robert Weber, secretary.

Members in attendance:

Steve Couch (Board President)
Robert Weber (Board Secretary)
Casey Cotton (At Large Board member)
Sean Barnett (Board Treasurer)
Jeff Horne (At Large Board Member)
Hindi Iserhott (Board Volunteer Coordinator)
Pete Stuchlik (At Large Board member, collections)
Aaron Andrade (Volunteer will be voted in as At Large Board Member)
E Michael Brandt (IT guru)

Members not in attendance:

Barbara McLean (Newsletter)

Minutes of previous meeting: approved

Officer Reports:

TREASURER —

  • Sean has a $ 1156.26 check for Bob Weber (new tools purchased last month)
  • Steve has a $300 check to deposit (donation from People’s Coop)
  • Credit Union account has $3827.58  (left after counting these 2 items)
  • Southeast Uplift account  $797.33
  • TOTAL $4625.21

SECRETARY —

  • Tuesday evenings have been busy with quite a few new members added
  • Eight new tools were received, added to our collection and checked out last month.
  • Michael and I went through the out of service/donations area and repaired, cataloged, and recycled/discarded most of them.
  • Bob re-arranged the levels and pipe clamps to the side back room shelf and put up signs to identify locations.
  • The garden tools behind the air duct in the Garden Area are now accessible due to large broken tools being removed.
New Business:
1. UPCOMING WORKSHOPS – Michael said we should pass around a donations basket at each workshop
  • TILE WORKSHOP  September 22 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM in Parrish Hall — no tools needed from SEPTL –  15-20 attendees expected
  • Hindi will ask Barbara to add this to the Newsletter — short notice — Jeff could put notice on SEPTL Facebook page
  • Aaron will make posters to put up in SEPTL, but we are only 2 open days til workshop
  • Soil & Water Conservation District Naturescaping workshop in late Oct or Nov — no firm dates yet, 3-4 hour workshop with free native plants to plant

2.  LATE TOOLS — board discussed what is cutoff date to send to collections — Michael said we have a prescribed policy which should be implemented.

3.  SE UPLIFT SMALL GRANTS PROGRAM

  • Steve talked with Tom at NEPTL — they got a grant for tool repairs, and  a bid to sharpen their push mowers
  • Sean said we should request a grant to set up the new space with shelves and lights/wiring, and tool repairs ; better chance if we partner with a neighborhood association like Richmond
  • Sean will discuss grant with SE Uplift and ask for $2K or $3K
  • Hindi has 2 members who offered to help with grant writing.

4.  NEW SPACE PROPOSAL TO CHURCH

  • Sean will make a before/after schematic plant to show floor plan and flow of use of basement space to fit with other Church uses
  • Sean will email plan to Board and hold a special Board meeting to review before vote at October Board meeting
  • Steve will send letter and proposal to Sarah and Dan together and get a feel for increased rental cost

5.  TOOL REPAIR NIGHT

  • Start Sept 27 at 6PM — hold every other month on last Thursday
  • We need a plan of action and who can help besides Bob and Michael
  • We will ask Barbara to put item about Tool Repair Last Thursday in next Newsletter and Steve to put date on Calendar and Web site
  • Board thought having refreshments might increase participation – Bob will bring sodas left from Volunteer appreciation. Steve will get donuts from Acme and maybe some beer.

6. DRIVER LICENSE NUMBER SECURITY

  • Aaron said some new members questioned entering their drivers license info on a non-secure website
  • Board discussed need for license info and decided it was worth keeping
  • Michael said we could pay $40 a year to make website secure with SSL
  • Sean moved to buy secure SSL for $40 annually — motion approved

7.  OUTREACH to increase number of active volunteers

  • We have 1800 members and 1200 tools now, but only 50 to 75 active volunteers this year.
  • We have not done a big outreach effort to add new members — membership is growing well now
  • We should make more effort to recruit volunteers with posters, personalized letters.
  • SE Uplift is having sustainability talks with their organizations — Steve will do this
  • NEPTL said their Board members do 60% of shifts and 80% of the work maintaining their tools and facility and workshops.
  • Michael and Hindi said soon SEPTL members will be able to sign up for shifts at the checkout desk,on the laptops or at home online.
  • Late tool call list needs volunteers – now just a few Board members are making all the calls.
  • We need to make the volunteer experience more enjoyable to promote repeat or regular shifts.
  • Michael will send Bob  a list of the next 25 highest tool borrowers who have not volunteered and Bob will mail out customized letters this month.

8.  Casey made motion to add Aaron Andrade as an at-large Board Member — motion PASSED

9. NEW TOOLS Needed

  • Michael suggested we only have 12 gauge extension cords to reduce tool motor burn-outs.
  • Bob will buy 3 50 foot and 3 25 foot 12 gauge cord for 20 amp use.

Recorded by Robert Weber, secretary

Meeting adjourned 8:55 PM